Header Image

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Costa del Sol b3

Making her first starter -
and yes it boiled over
Two years ago I brewed a beer for my wife's birthday inspired by my travels in Mexico plus the availability of WLP940 Mexican Lager Yeast which I called Costa del Sol.  That batch was a hit and went on to place second in the OC Fair.  I followed it up a year later as a ten gallon batch which I split creating the second batch of Costa del Sol and its ale brother Coast of the Sun.

Considering that I brewed this beer originally for her, Bonnie has always consider it to be her beer.  It was therefore only logical that once she started brewing her own beers she would want to brew her own batch of it.

In her continuing brewing education I took yet another step back from the process.  While I provided her with the recipe it was up to her to order the lager yeast from the shop (long story) as well as pick up the ingredients.  

In previous batches I had used this beer to highlight that year's hop blend from HopUnion - b1 Falconer's Flight, b2 Zythos. This year however I decided to make it a canvas for Citra but seeing as how I don't like single hop beers I opted to use Centennial  for the bittering.

When it came time to brew it I was in and out, so she was really on her own with this one, this included making her own starter. Even during cool down I was out and about forcing her to figure it out on her own.

She's really picking it up fast and coming up with some creative solutions.  Plus all this extract is making me long for 2.5 hour brewdays again.

Cheers

-SNB



Costa Del Sol b3
Premium American Lager 
Brewer: Bonnie Bennett 
Type: Extract 
Date: 3/9/2013 
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal 
Boil Size: 5.70 gal  
Boil Time: 60 min 

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.042 SG 
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG 
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG 
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 % 
Bitterness: 32.6 IBUs 
Est Color: 3.8 SRM 

Ingredients
0.40 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
4.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.05 lb Rice Extract Syrup (7.0 SRM) 
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 

Dry Hops
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...